Childcare Worker - BFL Apartments Program - Full Time
Barrier Free Living (BFL) is dedicated to helping New Yorkers with disabilities live independently in the community. Through its various programs, BFL provides a broad range of residential and non-residential services to disabled survivors of domestic violence, transitional shelter to the disabled homeless, and outreach to physically disabled individuals with mental health and/or chemical addiction issues.
BFL Apartments (BFLA) Program is a permanent housing. BFLA offers services to vulnerable and needy populations with disabilities who are survivors of domestic violence. Specifically, homeless adults and veterans who are disabled and for families who have a head of household with a disabling medical condition. BFLA program is physically designed and equipped to serve people with all kinds of physical disabilities. This program is presently located in the borough of the Bronx. There are two buildings adjacent to each other, a 70 unit studio apartment building for adult singles and a 50 unit apartment building for families. The Childcare Worker will present in the family building. This position reports to the Program Director and/or Dir. of Social Services.
- Follow curriculum and lesson plans
- Engage children in recreational and play activities
- Maintain effective disciplinary policies.
- Maintain good communication and share concerns with clinical team
- Pick up children from school
- Report to work on time
- Provide direct child care
- Facilitate recreational activities/groups
- Maintain group notes
- 18 yrs and older
- High School Diploma.
- Experience working with children with disabilities preferred
- Enthusiastic and constantly alert
- 2 years of experience working with children in an Educational setting (school, day care, head start program or nursery).
- Flexible availability to work one late shift (12pm-8pm) during the week. Must be available Saturday/Sunday
- Acceptable background clearance including fingerprinting.
- Communicate effectively with the children and their parents, as well as with other child care workers. Workers should be mature, patient, understanding, articulate and have energy.
- Skills in music, art, drama, and storytelling also are important.
- CPR/First Aid Certification is a must.
Start Date: ASAP
Hourly Rate: $15:00
Full Time hours per week: 35.00 Monday through Friday
Benefits: Medical, dental and vision, Paid vacation, sick personal and holiday time, Life insurance, Retirement Plan – 401K, and many more.
Public Assistant recipient are encouraged to apply.