Childcare Worker - BFL Apartments Program - Full Time
Barrier Free Living, Holding (BFL) is dedicated to helping New Yorkers with disabilities live independently in the community. BFL Apartments program is a 120-unit program that provides temporary and permanent housing to vulnerable and needy populations with disabilities who are survivors of domestic violence. The program exists on one property that will have adjacent buildings: a 70 unit studio apartment building for adult singles located at 616 East 139th Street, Bronx, NY 10454 and a 50 unit apartment building (19 one bedrooms and 31 two bedrooms) for families located at 637 East 138th Street, Bronx, NY 10454.
Specifically, our program will provide housing and support services for homeless disabled adults and disabled veterans (70 units of studio apartments NY/NY III Priority I Pop A) and for families who have a head of household with a disabling medical condition (50 units of one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments NY/NY III Priority V Pop G). Our BFL Apartment program is physically designed and equipped to serve people with all kinds of physical disabilities. This position spends part of its time assisting each program. The Childcare Worker reports to the Director of Childcare/Program Director
- Follow curriculum and lesson plans.
- Engage children in recreational and play activities.
- Maintain effective disciplinary policies.
- Maintain good communication and share concerns with clinical team
- Pick up children from school
- Report to work on time
- Provide direct child care
- Facilitate recreational activities/groups
- Maintain group notes
- 18 yrs and older.
- High School Diploma.
- Experience working with children with disabilities preferred.
- Must be enthusiastic and constantly alert.
- Must have 2 years of experience working with children in an Educational setting (school, day care, head start program or nursery).
- Must be available to work one late shift (12pm-8pm) during the week. Must be available on Saturday/Sunday
- Teacher Assistant Certification preferred. If candidate does not have the certificate, must obtained or have completed process by the 90 days review/appraisal period.
- Acceptable background clearance including fingerprinting.
- Must communicate effectively with the children and their parents, as well as with other child care workers. Workers should be mature, patient, understanding, articulate and have energy.
- Skills in music, art, drama, and storytelling also are important.
- CPR/First Aid Certification is a must.
Hourly Rate: $12.30
Full Time hours per week: 35.00
Mondays: 12:00 Noon to 8:00 PM
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Friday: 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Some Saturdays: Special Events, Hours varies
Benefits Package for Full Time position : Medical, dental and vision, Paid vacation, sick personal and holiday time, Life insurance, Retirement Plan – 403(b), Professional Work environment.