Childcare Worker - Freedom House
Freedom House, a crisis shelter for victims of domestic violence provides a safe and confidential place that is totally accessible for those with disabilities. Freedom House offers comprehensive services to both families and single individuals who are in recovery from their experiences of trauma. Services include but not limited to, individual and group counseling, case management, assistance with housing and government benefits, on-site child care, occupational therapy, medical consulting and psychiatric services. This state-of-the-art facility is the first completely accessible domestic violence shelter for individuals with disabilities in the country.
- Preferable 2 years of experience working with children in an Educational setting (school, day care, head start program or nursery).
- High School Diploma.
- 18 yrs. and older.
- Ability to work with children of all ages
- Experience working with children with disabilities and/or trauma history such as domestic violence preferred
- Available to work one late shift (12pm-8pm) during the week. Occasional weekend day for planned family activities.
- Teacher Assistant Certification preferred but not required.
- Acceptable background clearance including fingerprinting.
- Energetic and ability to multitask
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Skilled and knowledge of developing fun and interesting activities such as, music, art, drama, and storytelling as examples.
- CPR/First Aid Certification a plus if not will be offered the training upon hiring as it is a requirement.
- Follow curriculum and lesson plans.
- Engage children in recreational and play activities indoors and outdoors
- Facilitate individual and group recreational activities for children
- Work effectively with Clinical Team
- Participate in Team Meetings
- Pick up children from school
- Maintain updated group notes
- Computer literate
- Bilingual Spanish/English/ASL Knowledge a plus
Hourly Rate: $12.30
Hours per week: On Call
Mondays: Alternate hours 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM / 12:00 Noon to 8:00 PM
Tuesdays and Thursdays: 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Wednesdays: 12:00 Noon to 8:00 PM
Fridays: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Some Saturdays: Special Events, Hours varies
Benefits Package for Full Time position : Medical, dental and vision, Paid vacation, sick personal and holiday time, Life insurance, Retirement Plan – 403(b), Professional Work environment
Benefit Package for Per Diem position : Sick days
Barrier Free Living (BFL) is dedicated to helping New Yorkers with disabilities live independently in the community. Through its various programs, BFL provides a broad range of residential and non-residential services to disabled survivors of domestic violence, transitional shelter to the disabled homeless, and outreach to physically disabled individuals with mental health and/or chemical addiction issues. Services include case management; housing placements; independent living skills training; occupational therapy; short- and long-term individual counseling; advocacy within the medical, mental health, child welfare, law enforcement, and criminal justice systems; and referrals to outside services.