Director of Social Services
Barrier Free Living, Holding (BFL) is dedicated to helping New Yorkers with disabilities live independently in the community. Freedom House is an Emergency Shelter for survivors of domestic violence primarily with disabilities or who have children with disabilities. Freedom House is physically equipped to serve people with all kinds of disabilities. The staff of Freedom House is fluent in English, Spanish and American Sign Language.
Freedom House, a crisis shelter for disabled victims of domestic violence, provides comprehensive services to families and single individuals to assist them in recovering from their experiences of trauma. Services include individual and group counseling, case management, assistance with housing and government benefits, on-site child care, occupational therapy, and medical and psychiatric care. This state-of-the-art facility is the first completely accessible domestic violence shelter for individuals with disabilities in the country.
- Provides regularly scheduled weekly supervision to clinical staff, interns and others as required.
- Plans, directs, coordinates, and monitors the day-to-day operations of the social service program including children and adult therapeutic services
- Monitor case records, including progress notes
- Coordinate and build relationships within the agency and with outside services providers
- Attend coalition and shelter director meetings
- Manage training schedule for Freedom House
- Administrative duties
- After hours on-call responsibility
- Maintain schedule of clinical staff, including on-call rotation
- In the absence of the Shelter Director, responsible for oversight of the program
- Master of Social Work or Mental Health Counseling
- LCSW or LMHC preferred, but not required
- Minimum 5 years of post Masters experience, preferably working with victims of domestic violence and/or people with disabilities and the D/deaf or Hard of Hearing
- Basic understating of the homeless, domestic violence, and child welfare systems in NYC
- Supervisory experience with both clinical staff and ability to supervise MSW (SIFI certification) and/or mental health counseling interns
- Experienced group facilitator and trainer
- Ability to work in fast paced environment
- Open to working with diverse populations
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Bilingual ASL and/or Spanish speaking preferred
Start Date: ASAP
Annual Salary: $70,000.00 + Benefit Package*
Hours per week: 35:00 – Monday through Friday
*Benefit Package: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Retirement Plan, Paid vacation, Sick days, Personal days, Paid National Holidays and more.