Social Worker, MSW - BFL Apartments
Barrier Free Living (BFL) is dedicated to helping New Yorkers with disabilities live independently in the community. Through its various programs, BFL provides a broad range of residential and non-residential services to disabled survivors of domestic violence, transitional shelter to the disabled homeless, and support to physically disabled individuals with mental health and/or chemical addiction issues.
BFL Apartments (BFLA) is a supportive housing program. BFLA offers services to vulnerable and needy populations with disabilities who are survivors of domestic violence, specifically, homeless disabled adults and disabled veterans and for families who have a head of household with a disabling medical condition. BFLA program is physically designed and equipped to serve people with physical disabilities. This program’s facility is located in the South Bronx. There are two buildings: a 70-unit studio apartment building for adult singles and a 50-unit apartment building for families. BFLA’s supportive housing program is located on Cypress Avenue and East 138th -139th Streets. Social workers report to the Director of Social Services.
- Create, monitor and update service plans that are mutually developed with each resident
- Ensure appropriate follow up meetings and discussions related to service plan goals and benchmarks
- Providing individual and group counseling with residents
- Providing crisis intervention and other services required to assist residents
- Collaborating with the clinical staff in assisting residents to meet identified goals and to achieve housing stability
- Participating in clinical meetings and trainings
- Ensuring timely and accurate entry of resident statistics and case notes
- MSW or equivalent degree, with counseling and case management experience.
- Experience working with mental illness, substance abuse, domestic violence and familiarity with disability issues preferred
- Excellent computer skills (PC)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in fast-paced, residential environment.
- Excellent language skills in American Sign Language or bilingual English/Spanish desired.
Start Date: ASAP
Salary: $52,000.00 Hours: 35 hours per week, one evening per week, work one Saturday, on call social worker one week per month (flexible)
Benefit Package: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Retirement Plan, Paid vacation, Sick days, Personal days, Paid National Holidays and more.