Family Law Paralegal
Barrier Free Living (BFL) is dedicated to helping New Yorkers with disabilities live independently in the community. BFL provides a broad range of residential (Freedom House) and community-based (The Secret Garden) services, which provides a variety of services to domestic violence (DV) survivors with disabilities. The Secret Garden (SG) offers case management, safety planning, occupational therapy, short- and long-term individual counseling, advocacy within the medical, mental health, child welfare, law enforcement, and criminal justice systems, and referrals to outside services. These services are provided at Secret Garden’s Manhattan-based office, as well as at New York City-sponsored Family Justice Centers located in the five boroughs. Freedom House (FH) is BFL’s emergency shelter for domestic violence survivors with or without disabilities. Freedom House accepts women, children, and men. Its programs include individual counseling for adults and children, support groups, safety planning, case management, housing assistance, occupational therapy, financial clinic services, onsite childcare, and advocacy within the medical, mental health, child welfare, law enforcement, and criminal justice systems. BFL seeks a qualified Family Law Paralegal to provide the following:
- Bachelor’s degree, Associate’s degree, or Paralegal Certificate, as well as 1-2 years of relevant family law experience, preferred.
- Candidate should have excellent organization, writing, and communication skills with strong attention to detail.
- Candidate must be a motivated self-starter.
- Candidate must be highly organized and deadline-oriented with the ability to organize multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent secretarial skills.
- Fluent in Spanish and/or American Sign Language (ASL) preferred
- Ability to work with diverse populations including people with disabilities and those who are D/deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Sensitivity to sexual exploitation, domestic violence, and other gender-related issues
- Ability to work in a crisis management environment
- Strong ability to work independently
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Computer skills required
- Assist the staff attorney in providing direct representation to clients in family and housing law matters in the Family, Housing, and Supreme Courts in all five boroughs of New York City, from the inception of the cases to resolution, as they relate to domestic violence.
- Assist the Staff Attorney in completing legal consultations and intakes for Secret Garden and Freedom House consumers.
- Provide essential litigation support to the staff attorney.
- Facilitate accommodation requests (e.g., for interpreters, access to buildings, and assisted listening devices) so consumers can gain greater access to services within the legal system.
- The candidate must have excellent drafting and communication skills.
- Conduct outreach and form collaborative partnerships around access to services
- Participate in staff/program meetings and trainings including but not limited to CPR, First Aid, Crisis Prevention, and Undoing Racism workshops, partner program meetings, and conferences
- Ensure timely and accurate entry of case notes and other related program statistics, as requested, including document and complete the necessary forms at both Freedom House and Secret Garden
PARTNERS ON THIS POSITION: 5 year grant funded position through a partnership with the New York State Office of Victim Services
Start Date: ASAP.
Hourly Rate: $25.27
Hours per week: 35 – Monday through Friday 9 am to 5 pm
Benefit Package: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Retirement Plan, Paid vacation, Sick days, Personal days, Paid National Holidays and more.