Mission | Vision | Values
Our compass & guide in working with people with disabilities.
Barrier Free Living supports individuals with disabilities to live dignified lives free of all forms of abuse and bias.
Our vision is a barrier free world. We strive for a world free from abuse and bias, where people with disabilities live in a supportive environment. In this world, society values all its members and individuals with disabilities are free of any barriers preventing them from reaching their fullest potential.
- Safety is paramount and the foundation for all of our work.
- Efforts to increase safety should build on individual’s strengths and enhance their expertise on living safely.
- The ability to change comes from within the individual.
- Identifying an individual’s strengths is a building block to self-confidence.
- Self-confidence is key to achieving goals.
- An individual’s ability to build networks of support enhances his/her self sufficiency.
- Building life skills enhances self-sufficiency.
- Taking risks and making mistakes can be an important part of growth and progress.
- Adults with positive self esteem provide a solid foundation for children’s growth.
- Children’s voices are valued.
- Information is empowering. Sharing knowledge helps everyone.
- Trust starts with a foundation of confidentiality.
- A holistic perspective embraces the individual’s self-determination, culture, spirituality and values.
- Teamwork and mutual respect enable the achievement of goals.
- Communities that embrace diversity, respect, commitment and collaboration enhance the lives of its members.
- We strive for an environment in which the mobility, sensory, communication, cognitive, intellectual and other needs are accommodated in ways that are culturally appropriate.
- Healthy expression of all emotions, including anger, is respected.
- Domestic violence is not about anger; it is about power and control.
- To speak out about injustices against people with disabilities is everyone’s responsibility.