Program Director - bilingual English/Spanish - BFL Apartments
Barrier Free Living, Holding (BFL) is dedicated to helping New Yorkers with disabilities live independently in the community. The Supportive Housing Program is a 120-unit program that provides temporary and permanent housing to vulnerable and needy populations with disabilities who are survivors of domestic violence. The program exists on one property that will have adjacent buildings: a 70 unit studio apartment building for adult singles located at 616 East 138th Street, Bronx, NY 10454 and a 50 unit apartment building (19 one bedrooms and 31 two bedrooms) for families located at 637 East 138th Street, Bronx, NY 10454. Specifically, our program will provide housing and support services for homeless disabled adults and disabled veterans (70 units of studio apartments NY/NY III Priority I Pop A) and for families who have a head of household with a disabling medical condition (50 units of one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments NY/NY III Priority V Pop G).
The Program Director (PD) is responsible for the administrative and operational oversight of BFL’s Supportive Housing Program Single Units (70 studios), the Family Units (19 one-bedroom and 31 two-bedroom apartments), and oversee the entire supportive services within the housing program. The PD provides strategic program leadership and direction to all program staff and is responsible for the overall management of the agency’s supportive housing program, program design and implementation, contract and regulatory compliance, and programmatic quality assurance and improvement.
This position reports to (a) Chief Operating Officer for Administrative and Staff Issues, (b) Chief Program Officer for Programmatic issues. The Program Director is a member of the management team. For programmatic concerns or emergencies, the Program Director will be expected to be available on an on-call basis. The PD will directly supervise the Director of Social Services for the Single and Family buildings, Residential Manager, Administration Assistant, LPN Nurse, and Nurse Practitioner.
Program and Housing
Maintain and nurture a strong, community-based organization of the housing program by stewarding and ensuring stabilized housing for the disabled population.
- Responsible for oversight, development, coordination and evaluation of housing case management/social work and supportive services to ensure quality services are being provided.
- Monitor the supervision, and provide regular and consistent supervision, evaluation and oversight of staff and consultants.
- Responsible for monthly program/contract/fiscal management and reporting to funders.
- Establish programmatic and service goals of supportive housing program and services.
- Communication with funders regarding contract management and changes based on program needs and gaps.
- Completion of program/budget modifications and contract renewals in coordination with finance.
- Work with Executive Team and Finance Department on development and monitoring of program budgets and budget modification
- Allocate resources to ensure staff and cost efficiency.
- Modify and/or develop, implement and enforce programmatic policies and procedures of the organization to maximize compliance and efficiency.
- Ensure program alignment across all sites.
- Work collaboratively with Executive Team in pursuing new funding opportunities based on program needs and alignment with the agency’s mission.
- Establish program goals and develop a system for tracking progress against these goals and implement a system for data-driven supervision.
- Identify program needs and strategic opportunities to expand services through strategic partnerships, collaborations, and acquisitions.
- Cultivate relationships with external stakeholders to advance the organization’s mission.
Leadership and Staff Development
- Strengthen and maintain the management and governance culture and practices of the organization
- Lead and mentor program leadership
- Foster teambuilding and skills development
- Manage continual improvement of the contract budgeting process through the education of department managers on financial issues impacting budgets.
- Provide professional development in cost, maximizing revenues, containment and budget management.
- Identify and build leaders within the supportive housing program.
- Ensure timely completion of performance appraisals and development plans.
- Mentor staff on building collaborative partnerships with governing officials and stakeholders
- Foster succession planning
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Inform on the impact of legislative, regulatory, or judicial policies impacting the organization and/or its programs, and the target population.
- Serve as liaison to the Tenant Advisory Group to ensure programmatic feedback and guidance from tenants of both buildings and facilitate community meeting.
- At least 5 years of senior level program/contract management, budget management and supervisory experience.
- Master’s degree in social work, public administration, public health, or business administration required.
- A strategic and entrepreneurial leader with strong communication and technical skills
- Deep knowledge of and commitment to harm reduction theory and practice.
- Experience with and knowledge of the provision of services to high risk populations, including people living with disabilities including HIV and HCV, active drug users, victims of domestic violence and the homeless.
- Knowledge of and experience with outcome evaluation development and analysis.
- Exceptional organizational skills, including data analysis and program documentation.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) a plus.
- Demonstrate commitment to advocacy and activism, particularly in the crises of homelessness, domestic violence and addiction.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment
- ASL Fluency a plus
- Must possess and demonstrate excellent conflict resolution and crisis intervention skills
Start Date: ASAP
Salary: Based on experience
Hours: 35 hours per week and on call
Benefit Package: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Retirement Plan, Paid vacation, Sick days, Personal days, Paid National Holidays and more.
Public Assistant Recipient are encouraged to apply.