Resident Aide - BFL Apartments
Full Time, Part Time and Per Diem (on call) positions
Barrier Free Living, Holding (BFL) is dedicated to helping New Yorkers with disabilities live independently in the community. The Supportive Housing Program is a 120-unit program that provides temporary and permanent housing to vulnerable and needy populations with disabilities who are survivors of domestic violence. The program exists on one property that will have adjacent buildings: a 70 unit studio apartment building for adult singles located at 616 East 139th Street, Bronx, NY 10454 and a 50 unit apartment building (19 one bedrooms and 31 two bedrooms) for families located at 637 East 138th Street, Bronx, NY 10454.
Specifically, our program will provide housing and support services for homeless disabled adults and disabled veterans (70 units of studio apartments NY/NY III Priority I Pop A) and for families who have a head of household with a disabling medical condition (50 units of one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments NY/NY III Priority V Pop G). Our Supportive Housing program is physically designed and equipped to serve people with all kinds of physical disabilities. This position spends part of its time assisting each program
The Resident Aide reports to the Resident Aide Manager and Program Director in absence of Resident Aide Manager. They will occupy and monitor Reception/Front Desk areas of both sites and are expected to provide assistance to residents and schedule activities and events with residents and clinical staff. The responsibilities and qualification are as follows:
- Provide coverage at the Reception Desk in monitoring entry and exit of staff, residents and visitors; answering and directing, as appropriate, telephone calls; and completing other administrative duties as requested by supervisors.
- Assist in monitoring compliance with fire and other safety regulations related to the facility.
- Maintaining courteous, professional, respectful interactions with all residents, staff and guests.
- Must demonstrate the knowledge of appropriate boundaries with all residents and staff as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Assist in addressing and following up on any incidents related to security or safety within the facility, providing emergency response and crisis management help as needed.
- Ensure timely and appropriate completion of all log and incident documentation required by supervisors in recording security and safety issues/incidents.
- Complete light housekeeping tasks, at the request and direction of the Shift supervisor. These tasks may include, but are not limited to, sweeping, moping, trash removal, snow removal or cleaning when housekeeping staff is unavailable and where a safety concern is determined by the Shift Supervisor.
- Minimum of six months prior experience working in a residential setting preferred.
- Minimum of high school diploma (or GED).
- Strong oral communication skills and fundamental writing competency required.
- Ability to think and act calmly in emergency situations required.
- Experience working with people with disabilities highly desirable.
- Computer literate
- Required to take the Fire Guard Exam
- Spanish or other non-English language skills and/or American Sign Language skills a plus.
Start Date: ASAP
Hour Rate: $12.14
Shift hours: 12:00 am to 8:00 am, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm and 4:00 pm to 12:00 am
Full time with Benefits Package
Hours per week: 35.00
- Medical, dental and vision
- Paid vacation, sick personal and holiday time.
- Life insurance
- Retirement Benefit
- Paid Vacation, Paid Holidays, Paid Sick days, Paid Personal days
Part Time Schedule: Saturdays, Sundays, and all holidays
Hours per week: 14 -21
Schedule: 12:00 AM to 8:00 AM, 4:00 PM to 12:00 AM
Per Diem Schedule: On call for all three shifts on weekdays, weekend and holidays.