Deaf Services Social Worker, SG and FH
BFL seeks a qualified candidate to enhance its services for the D/deaf and Hard of Hearing (HOH)
Barrier Free Living (BFL) is dedicated to helping New Yorkers with disabilities live independently in the community. BFL provides a broad range of residential (Freedom House) and non-residential (The Secret Garden) services which provides a variety of services to domestic violence (DV) survivors with disabilities. The Secret Garden (SG) offers case management, safety planning, occupational therapy, short- and long-term individual counseling, advocacy within the medical, mental health, child welfare, law enforcement, and criminal justice systems, and referrals to outside services. These services are provided at Secret Garden’s Manhattan-based office, as well as at New York City-sponsored Family Justice Centers located in the five boroughs. Freedom House (FH) is BFL’s emergency shelter for domestic violence survivors with or without disabilities. Freedom House accepts women, children and men. Its programs include individual counseling for adults and children, support groups, safety planning, case management, housing assistance, occupational therapy, financial clinic services, onsite childcare, and advocacy within the medical, mental health, child welfare, law enforcement, and criminal justice systems.
- Provide individual and group counseling to D/deaf/Hard of Hearing survivors of domestic violence
- Conduct screenings of calls from the domestic violence hotline
- Collaborate between the clinical teams at SG and FH
- Provide crisis intervention and other services required to assist survivors
- Complete individualized service plans for survivors related to ongoing recovery, benefits and housing assistance needs, safety planning, and other emerging issues; also ensuring appropriate follow-up activities related to service plan goals and benchmarks
- Conduct outreach and form collaborative partnerships around access to services
- Participate in staff/program meetings and trainings including but not limited to CPR, First Aid, Crisis Prevention, and Undoing Racism workshops, partner program meetings, and conferences
- Ensure timely and accurate entry of case notes and other related program statistics, as requested, including document and complete the necessary forms at both Freedom House and Secret Garden
- Master of Social Work or Mental Health Counseling with pursuing licensure/permit within 3 months of employment
- Counseling and case management experience in the field of domestic violence with persons living with disabilities and the D/deaf/Hard of Hearing
- D/deaf or Hard of Hearing person preferred
- Fluent in American Sign Language (ASL) and written English required
- Ability to work in crisis management environment
- Strong abilities to advocate on behalf of survivors
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Computer skills required
PARTNERS ON THIS POSITION: 3-year grant funded position through partnership with the New York County District Attorney Office
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hourly Rate: $31.95
Hours: 35 hours per week – Monday to Friday 9:00 AM to 5Pm
Public Assistant Recipient are encouraged to apply.
Benefit Package: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Retirement Plan, Paid vacation, Sick days, Personal days, Paid National Holidays and more.
Sorry, this position is not currently available.