Shift Supervisor - Transitional Housing
Barrier Free Living, Inc. (BFL) is dedicated to helping New Yorkers with disabilities live independently in the community. Through its various programs, BFL provides a broad range of residential and non-residential services to disabled survivors of domestic violence, transitional shelter to the disabled homeless, and outreach to physically disabled individuals with mental health and/or chemical addiction issues. Services include case management; housing placements; independent living skills training; occupational therapy; short- and long-term individual counseling; advocacy within the medical, mental health, child welfare, law enforcement, and criminal justice systems; and referrals to outside services.
Shift Supervisor report to the Program Director and are responsible for
- The Shift Supervisor is responsible for the operation of the facility including maintenance and security in the absence of a facilities manager.
- Manage the program and oversee and address all incidents that might arise on that shift, either with staff or residents in a professional manner.
- Address resident-related issues, manage conflict and maintain a safe work environment for both resident and staff at all times.
- Responsible for the supervision of both staff and residents under the standards of behavior outlined by BFL and DHS.
- Orient any new residents to the rules and regulations as outlined by BFL and DHS.
- Record and communicate all incident reports to with all TH Team Members (Director, Case Managers, Administrative Assistant, and Security)
- Room-to-Room walk through of all resident rooms and ensuring curfew adherence and other shelter safety standards.
Routine access of DHS CARES database to obtain updated nightly roster, record nightly census and to make bed changes (if necessary).
- Make timely and accurate Bed Management reports to DHS Vacancy Control.
- Will oversee security and safety regulations along with other tasks assigned by the shelter director, OTDA, FDNY, NYPD and DHS.
- Associates Degree or similar education with residential supervisory experience. Bachelors preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage conflict in an intense environment
- Exhibit empathy towards the serviced population.
- Must have excellent interpersonal communication skills (oral & written)
- CPR/First Aid Certification
- Excellent problem-solving skills
Start date: ASAP
Pay Rate: $14:00 per hour
Shift: Weekdays, Weekend, and all holidays
12:00 AM to 8:00 AM, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, 4:00 PM to 12:00 AM
BFL provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants, with employment based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, pregnancy, alienage or citizenship status, marital status, creed, genetic disposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other protected characteristic as established by law.